We have been unpacking our kits and we love this dish especially. It's our Mexican Black Bean Soup with Homemade Cornbread. Have you ever tried cooking cornbread before? It's a great fresh bread recipe as it doesn't need time to prove. Here's our recipe if you want to try it out at home:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180 C Fan / Gas 6 / 425°F
2. In a large mixing bowl combine 125g cornmeal, 75g wholegrain flour, 50g plain white flour, 1 tbsp brown sugar, ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda, ¾ tsp baking powder, 284ml buttermilk, 2 eggs, 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and ½ a teaspoon of salt.
3. Mix together until combined and smooth.
4. Line the bottom of a baking tin with baking parchment or grease with a small amount of cooking oil or butter. Ideally, use a round 10 inch or square 20cm tin. Try to use a tin around this size, you don’t want the cornbread to be too thin or too thick as it will take too little or too much time to cook.
5. Pour the cornbread batter into the baking tin.
6. Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes until golden on the surface and springy to touch.
Take a look at our current recipes and try something new next week!