Dinner on the table: 30 mins
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Making puff pastry is quite complicated, but using ready-made pastry is an easy way to make a meal that tastes good and looks great! This recipe is inspired by Mediterranean flavours of caramelised onions, soft aromatic basil, tomatoes and sharp tangy feta cheese.
We’re serving the tart alongside a take on the classic French carottes râpées salad. You will find this simple, healthy, fresh and filling raw salad on bistro menus all over France. Traditionally the salad is with parsley, but we think that the peppery rocket works really well with the sweet carrots and the shine of the honey, lemon and mustard dressing.
According to the history books tarts were held in high regard by the upper classes for showing off interesting ingredients at dinner parties. We think that this tart is a really lovely way of showing off your cooking skills to friends and family and it can be ready in 30 minutes!
1 Pre-rolled ‘light’ puff pastry pack
200g Cherry tomatoes
2 Red onions
50g Feta cheese
2 tbsp Basil pesto
1 MK dressing mix: 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1 tsp honey
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / gas mark 6 / 400°F .
Boil a kettle full of water.
Roll the pastry out onto a flat baking tray with the baking parchment from the box underneath.
2. Prepare the vegetables:
- Wash the cherry tomatoes and cut in half
- Wash the rocket and place onto a clean tea towel, fold the corners over and leave to dry
- Chop the top and bottom off the red onions, peel and slice into half moons
3. Heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan over a low heat.
Add the red onion and cook lightly for 10 minutes. Stir every couple of minutes.
Chef’s tip: softening onions
Slowly cooking the red onion helps to bring out the natural sweetness without burning the sugars. The onions will soften and start to caramalise.
4. Score a 1cm border along the edge of the pastry, go only halfway through.
Cook in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.
5. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a large bowl.
Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the MK dressing mix and a little salt and pepper.
Mix thoroughly to make your salad dressing.
6. When the red onions are done, that is, when they are soft and sweet. Remove from the heat.
Check the pastry has pre-cooked. It should have started to rise and be lightly browned.
Remove from the oven.
Carefully press the centre down to create a rim.
7. Spread the basil pesto from the middle up to the edges that were created by the scoring.
8. Sprinkle the red onion jam over the top.
Sprinkle the cherry tomatoes on top of this.
Crumble the feta cheese over the top as the final layer.
Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
9. Grate the carrots on a medium setting.
Put them into the bowl with the salad dressing.
Roughly chop the rocket.
Add to the bowl and mix well.
10. Remove the tart from the oven once the top has browned.
Serve a slice of tart alongside the carrot salad.
Fruit and Veg 72%
Starchy Carbs 21%
- Milk (puff pastry, feta cheese, basil pesto)
- Gluten (puff pastry)
- Mustard (dijon)
Energy: 365 kcal / 1528 kJ - 18%
Fat 20g 28%
Sat 7.5g 37.5%
Sugar 13g 14%
Salt 1g 22%
116kcal / 487 kJ
Subscribe to our blog via RSS by visiting: https://makekitfood.com/blogs/make-kit-messages.atom